Monday, May 11, 2009

Wear Your Apron Day

Did you know that today is Wear Your Apron Day? Well, um, I am still working. Which means I can't wear my apron. That makes me sad...but I think the white coat and scrubs would clash. :O) But I thought I would share 2 stories with you.

The first is about my mom. My mom is the oldest daughter that my grandparents had together. And she liked to clean. Yup, as a kid, she would put on her apron and her headscarf and clean the house. My Nanie (grandma) made her a little old fashion apron out of eyelet material. My mom would wear it all the time. She would even make her brothers and sisters go outside after she cleaned...so the house would stay clean. But she always wore her apron. Over the years, Nanie lost track of my mom's beloved apron. My mom always talks about the apron and how much she loved it. Not very long ago, I found a similar looking pattern for her. It is an adult size, and I bought some eyelet material. A surprise was brewing! I made her that apron for Mother's Day. I just got to get it to her. :O)

The second story is about my mom again. The first time she got married, she was young. And her grandma (My great grandma Lousia) made her 2 aprons. They are actually half aprons that turn into bonnets. Yeah, isn't that a cool idea? Well, not long ago, my mom was going through her linens. You know, the drawers you never go through. And she found them. One has been a lot more "loved" than the other. But I took them home. I got out some newspaper, and made a pattern. Then I did the fun part, went shopping for some fabric. I remade my Grandma Lousia's apron! I am so excited. You see, my grandma past away when I was about 6 months old. In some small way, she is still with us.

I promise to post pictures later. But my kiddos are calling. And my lunch break is almost over. You have to love working with kids. :O) Fingers crossed, when I get home from work, I will post some apron pictures. In the meantime, put your favorite apron on. You know it will make you smile. :O)


XOXO

1 comment:

  1. what wonderful stories, thank you for sharing them. i'm sure your mother is going to LOVE the eyelet apron!

    ReplyDelete